Considering getting a new patio? Don’t forget to do your research: patio doors can be a significant investment, after all.
To help you get started, here are the factors you should consider before making a purchase:
1. Door Style
You might want to install a patio door with a different style. Here’s an overview of the three most popular types of patio doors:
- Sliding patio doors – Sliding patio doors are a great choice for homes with limited floor space. Since this type of patio door slides instead of swinging open, it takes up less space. Not to mention sliding patio doors let in ample amounts of natural light, which can give the illusion your interior is more spacious.
- Folding patio doors – Want a great view of the scenery outside? The sections of folding patio doors can be neatly folded accordion-style to open up a wide space that gives you great views of your backyard.
- French patio doors – When in doubt, it’s best to stick to the classics. Classic hinged French patio doors can add a sense of sophistication to any home.
2. Energy Efficiency
Doors with wide glass areas are more prone to heat loss and gain, potentially increasing your heating and cooling costs. Remember: glass is a poor insulator. That’s why it’d be a good idea to make sure your new patio doors, along with your siding and windows, are energy-efficient.
Buying tip: Make sure to look for the ENERGY STAR® logo. Only the most energy-efficient doors receive this label.
3. Patio Door Materials
The door frame material can also affect a patio door replacement’s energy efficiency. Here’s a quick overview of the most common frame materials in the market:
- Vinyl – Cost-effective vinyl patio doors have excellent energy efficiency, durability and minimal maintenance needs, making them a great option for homeowners who don’t have a lot of time for maintenance or are on a tight budget.
- Steel – Steel patio doors are known for their durability, but they may require a bit more upkeep in humid climates.
- Aluminum – Aluminum patio doors are as sturdy as steel, but are lighter and have fewer maintenance needs.
Having trouble choosing a patio door replacement? Consult an experienced contractor.
Roof Masters, a contractor with decades of experience, offers a wide range of professional exterior services, including roof, siding and gutters installation services. To request an estimate, call us at (301) 230-7663, or fill out this form. We serve homeowners in Rockville, MD, as well as the surrounding communities.