Just because vinyl has fewer maintenance requirements doesn’t mean you can neglect the maintenance of vinyl windows. Regardless of the type of window you have installed, maintenance is key to extending its lifespan. Here are some maintenance tips to guide you.
1. Check the Manufacturer’s Guide Before Cleaning Your Windows
Always check the window manufacturer’s guide for any special instructions before cleaning your windows.
2. Use the Proper Cleaning Tools
The manufacturer will usually specify which tools to use and the chemicals to avoid. These recommendations vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, but in general, most contractors would recommend using:
- A mild dish detergent or vinegar cleaning solution – If you plan on using a stronger commercial cleaning solution, make sure to check the label first. The manufacturer should have listed in the window guide the chemicals that might react with vinyl and damage the window frame.
- Spray bottle – Avoid using full-pressure spray bottles as there’s a chance the solution forcefully spritzed from the bottle might leak into the vinyl frame components.
- Soft brush – You’ll need a soft-bristle brush to remove dust and dirt that got stuck in hard-to-reach areas in the window frame.
- Soft lint-free cloth – Avoid using newspapers – the ink might leak onto the glass and stain the window. Use a soft, lint-free cloth instead.
3. Start With the Window Frame and Trim
Rinse the frame with water, and then spray cleaning solution on it. After wiping the solution off, use a soft brush to lift dirt from the frame’s edges. Wash the window, and then promptly dry the surface using a soft cloth. Don’t let the solution drip down the window frame. Otherwise, water might accumulate at the bottom of the window frame and damage it.
It’d also be a good idea to routinely inspect your window. That way, you can repair minor issues or get a window replacement before moisture can infiltrate your home.
Need new windows?
Roof Masters offers a wide variety of premium windows and doors as well as a range of professional exterior services. For inquiries, you can call us at (301) 230-7663 or fill out our form here. We serve homeowners in Beltsville, MD, as well as the surrounding communities.