A skylight is a light-transmitting structure located on the roof. It allows for a breathtaking view of the skies and brings natural light into the living space. Many homeowners look forward to installing a skylight on their roof as a great design and functional addition. Today, we discuss the pros and cons of skylights.
Benefits of Skylights
- Improved daylighting: One of the exciting advantages of having a skylight in your home is that it lets more daylight into a room, especially during the cold and freezing winter months when sun-filled days are shorter.
- Energy savings: Since skylights increase the amount of light that your living space receives, the use of artificial light and electricity can be cut down. In the colder months, skylights can contribute to the heat gain of space, reducing the need for heating and therefore your energy bills.
- Enhanced curb appeal: Skylights have the ability to enhance the look and feel of a space, boosting the overall architectural design and curb appeal of your home. You can also create dramatic lighting and a sense of seamless connection with the outdoors.
Drawbacks of Skylights
- Overheating and over-lighting: Some of the leading concerns of having skylights are related to bringing too much light and heat into space. To stave off this dilemma, make sure that your skylights are of the appropriate size and placement. This is why it is crucial to work with a window contractor who has the proper skills and many years of experience.
- Heat loss: Heat loss during the winter season is another issue with skylights. To combat this, choose skylights that are equipped with insulated glass.
- Cleaning difficulties: Since skylights often serve as roof-mounted windows, it can be difficult to clean them. In order to reduce the number of cleanings to perform, make sure that your skylights are installed in areas where leaves and branches will not fall on them directly.
Roof Masters is a premier source of exterior improvement solutions, including skylights installation, gutters cleaning and roof replacement, in Rockville, MD and the surrounding communities. Our certified professionals are committed to providing the comfort and efficiency you need through industry-leading products and services. Call us today at (301) 230-7663, or fill out our contact form to request an estimate.