Vinyl is a popular siding material primarily due to its ease of maintenance, making it resistant to termites and rot. It’s also very versatile and durable, and costs less compared to other siding materials, such as wood. However, just because this siding is easy to maintain, this doesn’t mean you’re free to do whatever you please. Just like any siding material, it can attract dirt, debris or even mold.
What to Do:
- Clean Your Siding At Least Once a Week It’s a good practice to clean your home’s siding at least once a week. The reason behind this is that if you take too long before you decide to clean it, your session will take longer since the dirt and stains have accumulated to the point that it will require extra effort and attention to fully remove.
- Using the Proper Cleaning Solution Be sure to use a mild cleaning solution so as not to damage your siding’s surface. We recommend using laundry soap or any trisodium phosphate substitute, mixed with warm water. When washing the soap down, be sure to point the hose downwards so that the water avoids the slats. In turn, this prevents water damage and mold growth.
- Using the Right Equipment Granted, a hose with moderate pressure can remove some grime, but a pressure washer can fully remove it. Keep in mind to lower the water pressure so that you won’t run the risk of chipping off your paint or vinyl. Otherwise, hire a siding expert to help you out.
- Don’t Leave Dirt and Damage Alone If you notice dirt, grime or damage on your exterior siding, don’t ignore it as it can compromise your siding’s integrity in the long run. While most vinyl siding is rated to last for 40 years, you’ll need to keep them in optimal condition to maximize their performance.
- Avoid Using Strong Solutions and Abrasive Materials When cleaning your siding, be sure to check the label of the solutions you’re using. Don’t use any solutions with acetone, grease or organic solvents. Also, avoid using steel wool or wire brushes when cleaning your siding so that you won’t scratch its surface and reduce its aesthetic appeal.
The search for a trusted siding and window replacement contractor ends here. Call on Roof Masters! We’re the most trusted and recognized name in roofing, siding, and exterior home improvements in the area. Call us at (301) 230-7663, or fill out our contact form for a FREE estimate.