Heavy rains and harsh elements can cause major damage to your home. So, it wouldn’t hurt to have some tools on hand for these situations. Before professionals arrive, you can use them to do minor repairs essential in keeping your home safe.
Include these items in a first aid kit for your roof.
Your Roofing First Aid Kit
- Heavy-duty tarp and roll of plastic for temporary repairs
- A roll of synthetic roof underlayment and a bundle of shingles for major repairs. Make sure the shingles are stored properly to prevent them from sticking to each other.
- A vinyl-based roof sealer
- Roof caulking and caulking gun
- Roofing nails and a bundle of lath
- A good hammer
- A box clutter for the underlayment
- A ladder to climb up the roof
Stay Safe Before Professionals Arrive
Tackle a small leak by taping a piece of string near the hole and placing a bucket beneath it. The string will bring the water into the bucket, stopping the water from spreading and causing more damage. Repeat the procedure for other leaks.
While waiting for your roofer to arrive, cover the damaged part of the roof with a tarp. This will prevent water from entering your home in case the weather goes bad. Ask help from your family or neighbors when climbing up the roof.
Move your electronics away from leaks to prevent electrocution and other incidents. Also, move furniture from the area to avoid damage. Keep the place as dry as possible to prevent slippage.
You can count on Roof Masters for emergency roof repairs. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Our team also installs doors, windows, gutters and more. Call us at (888) 889-7551, or fill out our online form to request a free estimate. We serve homeowners in Beltsville, MD, and surrounding areas.